Sunday, October 25, 2009

...... the first 6 games are done and so far I'm 6-0 in my picks

So, Week 7 of the NFL, the first 6 games are done and so far I'm 6-0 in my picks. Not bad. But the real tests are yet to come in the next few hours. So let's break down those first few games: Packers: 31 @ Browns: 3 -- Jeez, what did you expect? Rodgers went 15/20 passing for 246yds and 3 TD's. On the opposite side Derek Anderson racked up a meager 12/29, for 99yds. 0 TD's. Probably bigger for the Packers was Ryan Grant getting 147 yds and a TD off 27 carries. That's what Green Bay needs more of to stop people locking down their pass game. Realistically I didn't think Browns would even get into this game and other than taking the lead with a FG, they didn't. 49'ers: 21 @ Texans: 24 -- I took Houston on the principle that they have an offense and the 49'ers don't. At least they didn't. Houston raced ahead and it never really looked liked San Francisco would get back in it. Then bugger me if they didn't roll out the secret weapon; Alex Smith. I backed Smith in the pre-season to get the job but I pretty much knew it was gonna be given to Shaun Hill based on his record last season. Now Smith was given another chance, and he took it with both hands. 15/22 206 yds, 3 TD's. Good production from Vernon Davis, Josh Morgan and at last we get to see Crabtree take to the field. And he did ok for his first game. Promising signs. As a 49'ers fan I'm pleased with what I saw, but disappointed with the loss. As a budding pundit, I'm glad I called it right. Chargers: 37 @ Chiefs: 7 -- Yeah, there's a reason I took the Chargers in this. 'Cos even a busted and under producing Tomlinson is better than a healthy Larry Johnson. Philip Rivers topped Matt Cassel as well. Blowout. The Chiefs woes continue. At least they have one win on the board this season, 'Cos they weren't leaving this game with one... Colts: 42 @ Rams: 6 -- Hahahahahahahahaha!!! Oh dear. I'm tellin' ya, losing is one thing. But to go down 42-6 when your RB (Steven Jackson) puts up 134yds on 23 carries, that's gotta hurt. But the Colts have the only weapon that ever matters; Peyton Manning. "The Sheriff" went 23/34, 235yds and 3 TD's. Tack on two more in the run game and a pick 6, and you have yourself a rout. Can anyone stop the Colts? Yes. I'm not quite sure who yet, or even how.... Patriots: 35 @ Buccaneers: 7 -- We finally got a look at the 'Bucs' new QB Josh Freeman. Shame that by that point it was all done and the Patriots had thoroughly stamped their authority over the game. I can't imagine Bill Belichick will be happy with all the penalties though (10-66yds). Still, Brady lit up the board throwing 23/32 for 308yds and 3 TD, although he wont be happy throwing 2 INT's. Someone who will be happy is Wes Welker, who had 10 catches for 107yds and a TD. Vikings: 17 @ Steelers: 27 -- Wow. Even though I picked the Steelers I wasn't 100% by any means. For the most part the game stayed tight, until Keyaron Fox picked off Brett Favre and took it back for 6. Yeah, I know. Who the f%$k is Keyaron Fox? Well the 27 year old out of Georgia Tech may have just become the most famous guy in Pittsburgh, at least this weekend. But the biggest surprise is looking at the Vikings stats. Adrian Peterson; 18 carries, for 69 yds? 1 TD? And what about Favre? 34/51 (yeah 51!) for 334 yds and ..... 0 TD's? How? How do you throw the ball 51 times for over 334 yds (though the two kinda go together) and not score at least once? What's more bizarre is looking at the Steelers rushing stats. Normally you might expect a team to have 6 different pass receivers in a game. But 6 different rushers? I guess as Jesse Ventura used to say "If it works, do it...." So 6 0f 6. Well it's now 9:00pm GMT, most of the afternoon games are into the 2nd quarter now so I might as well have a quick look at my picks and see what's happening: Great, Buffalo are beating Carolina. Nice to see the Panthers have ignored my advice and decided to let Delhomme pass just as much as they rush (Give the damn ball to Williams & Stewart!!!!). Oh surprise, he's already thrown one pick....... Jets are pummeling Raiders, good......... Bengals have already put three TD's on the board through Carson Palmer, with no response.............. Falcons are leading the Cowboys 7-3. Damn it Dallas, RUN THE BALL!!! .............. and the one I'm most surprised about. Saints 3, Dolphins 17. Yeah baby, that picks looking good at the minute! Brees is 4/10 with a pick thrown in for good measure. Make that 4/11. Ricky Williams looking good with 4 carries, 70 yds and 2 TD's already. Oh and uh, make that Drew Brees, 4/12.... with 2 Picks!!! That leaves the Dolphins now 3 & 1 on the Saints 10. My pick is looking pretty damn inspired right now. But that said, if the 49'ers game earlier proved anything, it's that the games not over till the final whistle blows. And with the Saints offense, that can be a long time!! But then again, the Dolphins just scored again. 24-3.

No comments: