Wednesday, May 09, 2012

2012 NFL Draft: Round Two

Ta da!!! Better late than never, or at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking by it. If the text looks odd it's because I have circumvented the bullshit that is Bloggers interface by simply writing most of the article in Word and then pasting it into the text window, because I'm clever like that. Although I admit just having looked at it in the preview, it looks like shit. I don't even care. I haven't slept for 30 hours. Night, enjoy the article:

(33)  1. Rams select WR Brian Quick: This has been my first look at Quick and I’m sure I’m not the only person taken by surprise by this pick. Overall Quick strikes me as being an average receiver with pretty good hands and good height. He has some serious issues running down the sidelines on deep routes with maintaining the proper distance from the edge of the field and his route running will need some work. With Alshon Jeffery still on the board, this pick was a little surprising.

(34) 2. Colts select TE Coby Fleener: This is a great pick in my view. Fleener has taken a lot of stick for his run blocking but personally I don’t understand that. He was a pretty good blocker on a team that was very good at rushing, so there’s no issue there for me. As a pass catcher is where Fleener really comes into his own. He’s a great route runner with pretty good hands and really he should be considered as an under speed receiver more than a fast tight end. Playing over the middle he’ll provide a great target for his former college team mate Andrew Luck and could ease Lucks entry into the NFL a great deal.

(35) 3. Ravens select DE Courtney Upshaw: The Ravens obviously saw something in Upshaw to take him in the second round, but I don’t see it. I stand by what I said previously about him. He is very average, seems fairly easy to block, is not really that athletic and is almost completely unable to get a sack unless he’s left unblocked. I don’t understand the interest at all.

(36) 4. Broncos select DT Derek Wolfe: I was quite down on him before and watching him again, I’m still down on him. Occasionally he’ll muscle his way close to the play, but it’s a very rare occurrence and just generally he doesn’t contribute much, and this was against talent not even representative of the NFL level.

(37) 5. Browns select OT Mitchell Schwartz: Yeah, I think I’ll stand by Schwartz as a good tackle. He played against some very difficult opponents and came through with reasonably flying colours. He seems to have a few problems at times with picking out who to block on certain plays, but looking at I think it’s probably an issue specific to that scheme and not a general problem with Schwartz. He should make a good tackle in the NFL.

(38) 6. Jaguars select DE Andre Branch: What the Jaguars have desperately needed for a while now has been a pass rush of some form and they’ll be hoping Branch provides it. He’s quick, that much is undeniable. He’s not always the strongest end on the field and that may hurt him in the long run, but he can get off the snap quickly and he can give offensive tackles big problems. He’ll be an interesting and frankly much needed addition to the Jaguars team.

(39) 7. Rams select CB Janoris Jenkins: One of the most highly rated corners in the draft, but really I’m not sure why. His coverage skills are somewhat average, he doesn’t tackle very well at all and he plays far too loose off the receiver, giving them massive cushions. The Rams need help at corner and I don’t think Jenkins is it.

(40) 8. Panthers select OT Amini Silatolu: Not a lot of Midwestern State film kicking about! From what I’ve seen though Silatolu looked a bit 50/50. In the running game he certainly had that element of being a bulldozer about him, albeit against some questionable opposition. In pass protection he looked a little ungainly and slow to me. I’m not sure I’d trust him with my franchise quarterback, especially as he has to adapt to playing guard.

(41) 9. Bills select OT Cordy Glenn: In my initial look at the offensive linemen I was very, very critical of Glenn. Having watched him again I once again find myself wondering how that could be? Like Kalil and Reiff, I see nothing really wrong with Glenn. He’s strong, pretty well balanced and with good footwork. I just really don’t understand what has happened and why I was so off the first time around with some of these O-linemen? I think Glenn would make a good left tackle for the Bills and should really help that offense in the passing game.

(42) 10. Dolphins select OT Jonathan Martin: Seems like the Dolphins saw a run on tackles and went for one themselves! Martin is pretty good having covered the backside of Andrew Luck all last year. I kind of raved about him before and now I won’t say that I’m going to down grade my opinion of him, which would suggest I don’t like him, just that perhaps I was a little too eager the first time. He does his job but he has a few technical flaws that show up every now and again. He’ll likely play as a right tackle for Miami which will take some adjusting to, but generally he’s a solid run blocker and a fairly sound pass blocker.

(43) 11. Jets select WR Stephen Hill: What is it about Georgia Tech producing these tall, thickly built receivers? Maybe more college teams should go receiver scouting in Georgia high schools?  Hill follows very much in the footsteps of Calvin Johnson and DeMaryius Thomas in that he’s a big, athletic target man with a great pair of hands. For the Jets he makes a great counter balance to the smaller and speedier Santonio Holmes.

(44) 12. Chiefs select OT Jeff Allen: Didn’t get a chance to have a look at him first time around. Having now seen him I’m quite impressed. Pretty solid, tough, nice punch and extension of the arms. Footwork is pretty good too. Flip flopped between left and right tackle so has some playing time at both, though it’ll be interesting to see where the Chiefs finally stick him. Not a bad little pick at all.

(45) 13. Bears select WR Alshon Jeffery: The Bears have been crying out for proper receivers for a couple of seasons now. Hopefully the Devin Hester experiment has ended because that was going nowhere. With Brandon Marshall brought in all they needed was a decent number two and they have it in Jeffery. He’s a great receiver, big, pretty quick, great hands and body control. The only thing he really needs to polish up is the top of his routes (the breaking point) which sometimes are a little sloppy. But a good pick none the less.

(46) 14. Eagles select ILB Mychal Kendricks: I was quote negative about Kendricks first time around and on reflection that may have been a bit too harsh because Kendricks does have some great speed. But still, he’s a small kid who gets muscled around far too easily and that’s a problem for a linebacker. He might have had use as a 3-4 outside rusher, but I can’t see what help he’s going to give the Eagles? They need stout, gap scheme linebackers and Kendricks is not that. Maybe they plan on bringing more pressure from the weak side?

(47) 15. Seahawks select ILB Bobby Wagner: Now this one I do stand by what I said. Wagner is god awful. He’s slow, unbalanced and not especially that instinctive. He barely seems to contribute and given that Lavonte David was still on the board at this point I really don’t understand why you would take Wagner. You cannot tell me, even if you like Wagner a lot, that he is better than David. Ridiculous.

(48) 16. Patriots select FS Tavon Wilson: Far be it for me to question the judgement of Bill Belichick but… what in the hell was he thinking? Wilson is a very average secondary man with generally poor coverage skills and poor tackling. About the only thing I can see that might have attracted Belichick is the fact that Wilson has played corner, slot defender and safety, as well as special teams. The problem – as I see it – is that he was no good at any of these. Interesting.

(49) 17. Chargers select DT Kendall Reyes: Hmm. I was pretty down on Kendall Reyes before, even going to the extent of threatening to get on a plane and punch Jim Harbaugh in the head if the 49ers drafted him, but at a second look he seemed much better. He does seem to have a knack for getting between the linemen and getting disruptive penetration into the backfield. Still has trouble coping with down blocks in the running game, but not a bad defensive lineman. Probably make a good DE in the Chargers 3-4 scheme.

(50) 18. Rams select RB Isaiah Pead: I’m going to partially stand by what I said before. Pead is a terrible pass blocker, despite many assertions that I’ve heard to the contrary. He just flat out cannot pass protect. His hands are also a little sketchy, as he seems to drop the majority of the passes thrown to him. But I will take back what I said about his speed. He has a great burst coupled with excellent agility that makes him a real danger when he gets going. Perhaps needs to learn to run a bit more North/South instead of sideline to sideline, but yeah, there’s a lot to like about him.

(51) 19. Packers select DT Jerel Worthy: The Packers took a chance to move up and take Worthy and given the way they set their defense that makes some sense. Worthy is a big body who gets a big push on the first step, but doesn’t really do a whole lot else. His value is as a player that eats blocks and causes some disruption in the backfield, creating opportunities for the supporting linebackers to make play. I still think this is a bit of a gamble for the Packers, but perhaps not as much as I previously thought.

(52) 20. Titans select OLB Zach Brown: I stand by what I said. Brown is pure garbage. He ran a quick 40 at the combine and every now and again as he’s dropping back into coverage someone will sling a pass right at him which he picks off, but generally speaking he is a complete waste. Slow to react, unbalanced, terrible footwork and he tackles like a 3 year old child. Awful. Just awful.

(53) 21. Bengals select DT Devon Still: Perhaps I might rescind my complaints about Still a little, but not a lot. I’ll grant you that he probably does have some utility as a role player perhaps, an extra young body to fill out the rotation and maybe groom for the future, but as a second round pick I don’t understand it. He’s not that good. Turns up the very occasional sack and spends a lot of time getting pushed around by guards. I also don’t think defensive line was especially critical for the Bengals.

(54) 22. Lions select WR Ryan Broyles: Like the Still pick for the Bengals, I’m not sure this was the greatest idea by the Lions. I understand the Best Player Available argument and to a degree I’ve been swayed to it, but really? When your team has so many other issues you went out and got another receiver? Ok. I hadn’t seen Broyles pre-draft and he looks ok. Hands are pretty good, he’s quite quick and he runs well with the ball in his hands. Route running is not a strength though. In the NFL that can cause problems with getting separation. Perhaps a little high for someone of his ability, but you never know. Maybe the Lions can do something with that speed?

(55) 23. Falcons select OC Peter Konz: That’s offensive center and not offensive coordinator, just to clarify. I originally said outside of the first round Konz would be worth a look and here we are! He’s a Wisconsin Badger offensive linemen. That tells you a lot of what you need to know. He’s physically impressive and in the running game has a talent for blowing people off the ball. He’s also athletic enough to pull on power plays and play guard if the Falcons decide to go that way with him. Pass protection needs some work still, but that’s mostly smoothing off the rough edges.

(56) 24. Steelers select OT Mike Adams: Initially I called him a top 10 pick and I think since then I’ve cooled a little on him, so I guess it’s a good thing that I wasn’t sitting in a draft room for your team! Though if I were in such a position I’d have access to a ton more film and all day to watch it so who knows? Adams is still a good pick though. He does need a bit of work with his hands and sometimes his footwork is a little clumsy, but overall he’s a big, powerful young man who has a lot of potential to progress to a higher level.

(57) 25. Broncos select QB Brock Osweiler: So with Tim Tebow gone to New York, the Broncos have selected Brock Osweiler to become the new understudy to Peyton Manning. Of course someone should probably tell the Broncos that Manning’s track record as a mentor for young quarterbacks is pretty abysmal (just ask Curtis Painter). Osweiler should be in familiar territory then because he too is abysmal. He spent the majority of his college career throwing screen passes. When asked to push the ball downfield he did so poorly and there is no real reason to expect that to change in the NFL.

(58) 26. Buccaneers select LB Lavonte David: The Buccaneers traded away their third and fourth round picks to Houston in exchange for this pick and Houston’s seventh rounder. Though they did pay a hefty price (I feel), Tampa got a great linebacker in return. I love Lavonte David. Playing in the heart of the defense he can rush the passer, stop the run, cover tight ends, cover slot receivers and do it all at speed and with relentless pursuit. I feel like David gives you a lot of options with what you can do with him and will give you everything he has on the field. The Buc’s defense got a serious upgrade.

(59) 27. Eagles select DE Vinny Curry: Originally this should have been the Saints pick, but part of their punishment for the bounty scandal left it in the hands of Green Bay, who then traded it along with a fourth round pick to the Eagles in exchange for the 51st selection (a pick with multiple owners itself). The Eagles decided to boost their pass rush by taking Vinny Curry from Marshall. First time around I was incredibly hard on Curry and since then I’ve eased off a little. Still, he struggled against the likes of Mike Adams and didn’t exactly blow up lesser opposition. His bull rush isn’t too bad and he has some moves, he just doesn’t seem able to convert all that into regular sacks. We’ll see, with the Eagles current scheme the ends always seem to do well and Jim Washburn is just about as good a D-line coach as you could hope for.

(60) 28. Ravens select OG Kelechi Osemele: First time I’ve seen Osemele and I think it’s going to be incredibly hard for anyone to project him accurately. First off, he played left tackle in college but is expected to be a guard for the Ravens, so we’re already dipping into murky waters. Secondly, Iowa State’s running game often called for Osemele to make ridiculously long reach blocks to the inside against an interior defensive linemen, which makes it difficult to assess his true potential as a run blocker. Against the pass Osemele did well. He held his own against some good rushers and looked pretty stout. Like I say, tough to predict I think.

(61) 29. 49ers select RB LaMichael James: As a 49ers fan I was understandably very interested in this pick and frankly I find this a bit of a head scratcher. The 49ers already had Frank Gore, Kendall Hunter and Anthony Dixon, and then in the off season they brought in Brandon Jacobs and Rock Cartwright. Adding another running back is very odd. But if you’re going to add a new back then at least make him a good one and LaMichael James certainly is that. One thing all of the previously mentioned backs had in common is that they’re all big, pounding backs, “bangers” as I like to call them. James offers quite a change of pace with significant speed and sharp cutting ability, making him a viable option both at running back and as a slot receiver.

(62) 30. Packers select CB Casey Hayward: I don’t know what to make of Hayward. First look I was very high on him but I think that’s slipping a little now. Tackling, or rather his seeming inability to tackle, is a big worry. The way he plays is more suited to a man coverage corner, whereas really the Packers are more of a zone coverage team. He is good against the pass, getting his head around most (but not all) of the time and finding the football. He’s had a good number of interceptions and pass break ups, but he struggles to control big bodied receivers and has been toasted deep more than a few times. The Packers have a knack lately for developing corners, so we’ll see.

(63) 31. Giants select WR Rueben Randle: I still like Randle and looking at it, this was probably about right for where you would expect him to land. The Giants may even have some starting time for Randle after Mario Manningham left for golden pastures on the west coast. Randle is not a dominant physical receiver in the same sense that Justin Blackmon, Michael Floyd and Alshon Jeffery are, but he is quick, runs very good routes and has excellent hands. He can catch awkward balls right after coming out of his break and makes excellent adjustments under deep balls, which is an art in its own right.

As for the follow on, next is round three but I might interrupt that by doing a post that has been on my to do list for a long time now and that is a post describing the basics of the Zone blitz. I'm also thinking about doing a basics on the ISO running play. If you have any requests, either leave a comment below or e-mail me at keepingthechainsmoving@live.co.uk

The worst I can do is say no. We'll see. Till next time, hold on. It's only four months till the season begins again.

No comments: