Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Melting eye balls

Someone remind me what I was supposed to be doing? I can't remember right this second. I'm too busy trying to stop my eyes from melting. Along with my brain. I swear that over the last 3 or 4 days I've watched so many clips of the 2011 draft prospects that I'm actually starting to resent football. If I have to watch another damn post route, or a DE rushing the passer, or some offensive tackle lumbering back into his pass block I'm going to go insane. Not that any of this matters, it's just nice to vent sometimes. Anyway, back to more important matters. Now do you remember a post I wrote back near Christmas about "Super Nickelbacks"? No? Well, first of all cheers for the vote of confidence. Appreciate it. Secondly, here's the link back to it. The reason I bring this up is thanks to the staff off NFL Networks "Playbook" show, who kindly (and I dare say fully unintentionally) made a video a few days ago that basically demonstrates what I was talking about, only with game film to prove the point. Here is the link to that, as NFL.com still refuses to allow the embedding of it's videos on other sites, largely because they're still technologically stuck in the stone age. The bit about William Gay and Charles Woodson at the beginning is what you're looking for. Next, another video from the aforementioned proprietor of ancient tech. This one features Wes Welker wired up at the AFC Pro Bowl practice and wearing a helmet cam. It serves multiple purposes which are of interest to me; 1) It gives fans a better insight into what it's like to be Wes Welker (or indeed any NFL wide out) running pass routes. That's something that the league and football coverage in general could really benefit from, giving fans a "players eye" view of the action, even if it's only on the practice field. It's the use of interesting/innovative footage like this that football broadcasts need to keep their product fresh. Another example is the suspended camera that runs along the middle of the field. Why this angle is only used for replay purposes and not to give us some great in game shots is beyond me. 2) This video, and another similar one featuring Michael Vick, gives us a great insight into just how bad the video editing on NFL Network can be at times. Earlier in 2010 around the time of the combine I went off on a rant several days in a row due to the chronic level of poor editing used during the live broadcasts. Instead of following the player running the drill, the cameras kept cutting away to show the next player jogging up to the start line. I see now that nearly a year later things haven't improved. 3) But of most interest, and where this whole thing was ultimately heading, is listening to Peyton Manning talk to Welker about his route and how he plans to run it, where he wants the ball etc. This gives us a superb insight into who Manning is as a player and helps to explain why he's often tagged as a "coach on the field". It also serves to demonstrate just how important the "time factor" is between a QB and his receivers. More time = more understanding, to the point where Manning and Reggie Wayne sometimes just seem to look at each other a certain way and know what the other is thinking. The same with Brady/Welker.

No comments: