Thursday, November 12, 2009

Bears @ 49'ers

It's week 10 now of the NFL season, which signals the return of Thursday night football. And hosting the first of those Thursday night games? My very own 49'ers!!! And with the team sliding badly and in need of a win, I couldn't be more than happy that our visitors this week are the Chicago Bears. Here's my Thursday night game pick: Bears @ 49'ers: Last week the Bears gave up over 180 yds total rushing to the Arizona Cardinals. That on it's own should tell you every thing you need to know about this match up. The 49'ers run attack will be spearheaded as usual by Frank Gore. Expect Gore to get over 100 yds rushing, I think he might even go for 150. It all depends on the play calling. Which is what worries me the most. Now I like Alex Smith (I wanted him to start at the beginning of the season) and I like the way he's finding Vernon Davis (I'm a fan of TE's in general). I like the new receiver Crabtree and I like the way Gore is getting used in the pass game. But Mike Singletary wanted a strong rushing attack to complement his Defense. Frank Gore gives you that. But for some reason, the 9'ers just aren't using it. They routinely lean on the arm of the QB to win games, and as a result, I think they routinely sell themselves short. The trouble seems to be that after going three and out once with maybe just a few yards rushing, they then abandon the run. You've got to stick with it and actually give it a chance to work. Unless you're the current Chicago Bears, in which case your offensive line is more likely to get jointly elected to Congress than it is to hold it's blocks long enough for Matt Forte to get any production. Cutler is good, but he can't do it all alone. The Bears throw too much and the result is usually a host of picks. I can't look beyond the 49'ers for this one. 49'ers win. In other news, Brady Quinn has been announced as the starting QB for the Cleveland Browns (again) this week. The Browns will be appearing on Monday Night Football as they entertain the visiting Baltimore Ravens (Complete the title: Texas Chainsaw ________ ). And so in recognition of this prestigious event, tomorrow night I'm gonna attempt do the impossible. I'm gonna convince you that Browns QB Derek Anderson isn't all that bad. Wish me luck.

No comments: