Friday, November 06, 2009

Fumbling around for answers.

It's not quite picks time yet, but I just had two random observations to bring up that suddenly came to me. 1) Marvin Harrison. Yeah he might be 37 years old now. But the fact is Harrison is far superior to a plethora of wideouts who are currently chewing up roster space on many teams. Why didn't anyone come in for the guy in the offseason? 2) Fumbles. 2009 might just be looked back on as the year of the fumble. Honestly, it's everywhere. Steve Slaton has basically lost the starting job in Houston to rookie Ryan Moats because of his problems holding onto the football. And yet all of this seems so unnecessary. I've been going back and watching a ton of film. And I mean it. Tons of film. And what consistently crops up is examples of ball security that would make little kids blush with embarassment. The old adage is four points of pressure (tip of the ball, forearm, crook of the elbow and bicep). Many would go so far as to make it 5 (pinning the ball against the chest). What you see week in and week out in the NFL is two (fingers on the tip and against the forearm). No wonder the balls getting dumped on the turf every 5 seconds. And the genuine question is, who coaches these guys? If you're a top NFL coach, isn't it your responsibility to fix this problem? I don't wanna sound like your average armchair coach (even though technically speaking, I am) but isn't the 4 (or 5) points of pressure a basic standard of football across all levels? And with turnovers having such a huge impact on games, isn't it something that you think would be addressed everyday in practice, till it became routine? I don't know. I'm no genius. But I sure as hell know I wouldn't pay a coach if he allowed that kind of thing to continue. Rant over. Later tonight I'll stick my neck on the line again and produce some week 9 picks. So far in the two weeks I've been doing this, I'm 18-8. which is just under 70% (like 0.01% under). This week there are some real toughies (like last week, and the week before....) but I'm actually quite confident about going 13-0 this week. But then I was confident the Dolphins would beat the Saints in week 7....

No comments: