Sunday, November 08, 2009

My Week 9 NFL picks so far

Ok, so it's time to take a look at my Week 9 NFL picks so far. I'm pretty damn tired (our college team was playing today and we ended up in the pub): Redskins 17 @ Falcons 31: Matt Ryan (17/24 for 135 yds, 1 TD and 1 INT) and especially Michael Turner (18 carries, 166 yds, 2 TD's) standout. Turners big game really helped the Falcons in this one. That's one up for me. Cardinals 41 @ Bears 21: Despite a big game from Cutler (29/47, 369 yds, 3 TDs and 1 INT) the Cardinals were just too strong. Kurt Warner went 22/32, 261 yds and threw, wait for it, 5 TDs. Cameos from Tim Hightower and 'Beanie' Wells added another 149 yards on the ground. On a more amusing note, Matt Leinart was brought into the game..... and on his first throw produced a pick! 2-0 to me. Ravens 7 @ Bengals 17: As suspected, a tight game. Both teams did well through the air, but ultimately Ray Rice got just 12 carries for less than 50 yds while Cedric Benson put 117 yds up on 34 carries. 2-1. Texans 17 @ Colts 20: This went down to the wire, with the Texans missing a potentially game tieing field goal as time expired. Both QB's produced a little over 300 yds. 3-1. Chiefs 21 @ Jaguars 24: At first it looked like the Jags would cruise away with this one. Damn the Chiefs for rallying and making it a tight one. 4-1. Dolphins 17 @ Patriots 27: Not the blow out I was expecting. Credit to the 'Fins for fighting back. I should have known that they would save their new wrinkles in the 'Wildcat' specifically for the Patriots. Funny, great for the rivalry, but their recent results would suggest it to be a pretty stupid move. Brady threw for 332 yds and a TD to bury a Dolphins team that generated just one touchdown on a trick play. 5-1 Packers 28 @ Buccaneers 38: Assclowns. Trust the Packers to be the first team to fall to the Bucs'. Once again, Green Bay gave up 6 sacks. Now trust me Packers fans and team members, that's not good. As a 49'ers fan I can confidently report that your team will not win games doing that. Add to that a blocked punt and you know the Packers have serious issues. They need to find a) a run game and b) a quick passing game. And they need to find them 3 weeks ago. 5-2. Cheers Packers. So those are the only confirmed results so far, but there are currently 4 games underway which we'll have a quick look at: Panthers came out shooting against the Saints with a 66-yd TD run. What was I saying yesterday about explosive running plays, especially from the Panthers? After just 11 carries DeAngelo Williams already has 100-yds and 2 TD's. I hate to say it but... I told you so. With 3 mins left in the first half, Panthers lead 17-3. I would normally get excited by this, but the last time I did that was when the Dolphins played the Saints, and we all know what happened there. Fingers crossed for 6-2. Lions are beating the Seahawks 17-7. I'm hopeful that in the second half the 'hawks will rectify that. Looking like 6-3 at the minute. Chargers and Giants currently 7 a piece. I'm worried though. The Giants are throwing the ball. Jacobs and Bradshaw have just 12 carries between them. Might take me to 6-4. Titans and 49'ers are tied 10 each at the minute. Both QB's have just over 100-yds, but crucially Gore has 35-yds off 6 carries, Johnson has just 17-yds of 8 carries. If the 49'ers keep this up, victory could be theirs. and that would take me to (potentially) 7-4.

No comments: