Friday, May 28, 2010

Boredom Watch continues

No more holdouts to report thank god, but "Favre Watch" continues, for reasons as yet unknown to mankind. Until that surgically repaired ankle heals itself, expect no decision from Favre on his future. Then expect no further developments until training camp is in it's final stages. Honestly, I can't stand it. Seriously, screw Favre. He's a great player and his return would really help the Vikings, but I'm not interested in hearing about him during this off season. Rant over. Wait, rant on. When you're finished here, head over to http://brophyfootball.blogspot.com I love Brophy's blog and there is a great post up now that I'd like to draw your attention to. It's a subject very close to my heart, and that is Ball Security. This issue drives me nuts probably more than anything else in football (ok, so the Panthers offensive indecision comes tops, but hey). This issue is one of the reasons I still haven't jumped on the Adrian Peterson bandwagon. Yes Peterson is good, but so is pretty much any Running Back when you give them 300+ carries. What bugs me about Peterson is the way he carries the ball, holding it down away from his body just waiting to get knocked out (hint: that happens a lot). For all his aggressive play, touchdowns and yards, Petersons' fumbles kill his potential "back of backs" title right now. The Vikings loss to the Saints in the NFC Championship game was bad enough for me considering how over rated I think New Orleans are (can't wait for them to sink like a lead balloon this year). The fact that the Vikings handed the game over with their multiple fumbles and other mistakes just made it more cutting, a perfect example of how the Saints have scraped through to Superbowl glory. The fact that it's all so unnecessary is what really bugs me. I hate fumbles caused by players holding the ball away from their body and not taking proper care of the most precious thing on the field. It just infuriates me to a ridiculous level. I can't explain it. It's just one of those pet hates, those things that drive you nuts (it's up their with the sound of people eating with their mouths open. And the Panthers. Hate 'em). Anyway, check out Brophy's blog for a great course in proper ball security. It really is so easy to get right. I think that's why it infuriates me so much. To think that NFL coaches get paid big bucks (kind of) and can't even teach their players simple things like this, while a plethora of very good coaches remain stuck at the lower levels, purely because they don't have the connections with the right people. Grrrrrr! Also, if you're looking for more video than you can possibly ever want in a lifetime, I'm going to share a little secret with you that seems to be a hidden gem of the footballing world; www.gridironsource.com Honestly, if you get bored of watching the game cut ups, training videos etc on there, then there's probably no hope for you. Go do it. Now! Oh and, have a great day everyone. Now go watch film!!!!

No comments: