Friday, March 05, 2010

Why I don't hate the Panthers any more

-- The Washington Redskins have the finances to make big splashes in free agency, but first you need to open some room in the future cap limit (which will undoubtedly appear in 2011/2012). The Redskins solved this problem by cutting 10 players, including RB LaDell Betts, who I think has potential somewhere. He may indeed be 30 years old, but he's been sitting behind Clinton Portis of late and so hasn't taken the battering some RB of his age have. With the injury to Portis last year we saw Betts step into the starting roll and I think he did well. There's still something left in the tank for him and he'll be a cheap pick up. -- Antrel Rolle has been released by the Cardinals, meaning any team, including those in the final 8 of this years draft can go after him. He's one of the more youthful unrestricted guys about this year and he has great skills (in my opinion at least). A team like the Eagles could use him to fill the gap left by the departure of Brian Dawkins last year. -- According to the crew of NFL Total Access, (now) former Steelers RB, Willie Parker is not generating much interest among potential suitors. The theory is that he was known for being fast and has now lost a step which makes him worth nothing more than a backup role. Apparently there isn't much support for him, either around the league or, and I quote, "in the blogging community". All I can say is, right here baby. I think Willie has something left to give and if he takes the slight about his speed to heart and uses it as a motivational tool, I think he becomes a pleasant surprise for someone next year. -- Larry Johnson is being heralded as a potentially good pickup by just about everyone you ask. I look at Johnson and think "you sucked for the Chiefs, and you only got a bit better when you went to the Bengals with their superb rushing O-line,". Of course I'd very much like for Larry to prove me wrong, but I don't think it will happen. -- Jake Delhomme has been dumped by the Panthers. I hereby officially renounce my hatred of the Panthers and hope that they will finally push DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart to the center stage of their offense, as I believe they should. -- The breaking news making the rounds at the minute appears to be that the Chargers have agreed a trade with the Jets for CB Antonio Cromartie. Early sources suggest it could be for a third round pick in 2011, with the possibility it will become a second rounder based on Cromarties performance. That is an incredible steal. Cromartie is still pretty young and has a lot of potential to be a great corner in the league. The lingering question is his physicality and whether he can bring the goods in the run game. Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan should be able to fix that....

No comments: