Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bloodied but not beaten

I love my Internet service provider. I love the way that they just randomly cut off the connection every now and again, without a suitable explanation or reason for doing so. No forewarning either, but who needs that right? It's not like people have things to do within certain time frames! Hell no! As you've probably guessed, this explains my absence from the blogging world yesterday. Which is a shame because I was looking forward to recapping the Giants/Jets game. -- Giants 31 @ Jets 16: The other day I was looking ahead to this game when I said this "With the pride of New York at stake and with a growing tension between the two teams, I have a feeling this game may be a little more tasty than most this August." I wasn't quite expecting Eli to be taken off the field with blood dripping from his head but there we go. Rex Ryan also kept his starters in longer than many expected, seeking to strike an early blow against the Giants..... Which failed miserably. The reality is that without Revis the Jets corners routinely got burned trying to play single coverage, even with the blitz packages coming thick and fast. Giants WR Victor Cruz took the most advantage, seizing 6 catches and taking them for 145 yards and 3 TDs. I wasn't much more impressed with the Giants D, the one notable thing that jumps out being a sack for rookie Jason Pierre-Paul. Personally I think he's very over rated but maybe this is the first sign that I was wrong. We'll see. The Jets weren't afraid to air it out either and after a stuttering start, Sanchez looked reasonably comfortable. I was impressed with LaDanian Tomlinson, whose statistics don't bare out the fact that he still looked like he had life left in his legs (enough 'L's for you?). Shonn Greene was fun to watch though. Ploughing into defenders and running over people to get tough yards. That's what you want out of a power back. You want a guy who can deliver the decisive blow at crucial moments. Greene will provide that this season. All in all a fun game, but the Jets look a little dicey without their premier corner. If they play like this in the regular season it will only hand more leverage to Revis. The Giants D also needs to take a long, hard look at itself. Against better passing teams they will struggle. -- Finally some news. Starting with my very own 49ers who have picked up RB Brian Westbrook. I like Westbrook and I think his free agent stock plummeted based solely on the concussions he suffered last year, which is unfortunate. Head injuries are head injuries. If you take a solid lump to the head you'll get knocked out and there isn't a lot you can do about it. This could prove to be a steal for the 49ers. Westbrook will probably be restricted to third downs where his catching abilities will be best utilised. Still can contribute though. -- Ahh yeah, you knew this was coming. Favre is back in Minnesota. Apparently a three player delegation went to visit him; Jared Allen, Steve Hutchinson and Ryan Longwell. And when they returned from Mississippi, they brought back an ancient treasure with them. As far as I'm aware, Favre is back for the season. Thank god all the drama is done (unless I've spoke too soon......) Have a great day everyone.

No comments: