Thursday, April 01, 2010

This is not an April fools joke.

-- Speaking with The Associated Press, WR prospect Dez Bryant believes people have gone too far with their criticism after his pro day workout. One of the highlights for me was his comment; "I ain't never got in trouble with nobody." Except of course with the NCAA, for lying to one of their investigators. Responding to the issue of forgetting his cleats Bryant said "[sic]What do this got to do with me playing football? Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? I don't think it has anything to do with me playing football." Maybe, but it has a lot do with how seriously you're taking the process and it raises serious questions about your self motivation and organisation when you show up for your pro day without the proper equipment. Add to that the following; "[sic]Any teams who don't draft me who think I have background problems or any of that, you're not going to draft me because of stuff that happened in my childhood? What about now? What's been going on with Dez now? Nothing bad's been going on with Dez. Nothing at all." Except you got banned for most of your final college season and then showed up at your pro day with more entourage members than you had pairs of shoes. Apparently Bryant did actually bring 6 pairs of shoes to his pro day but, "You know how players have their particular cleats that they want, the ones they are comfortable in? I didn't have those," Bryant said. "I'm not saying it would have made any difference. But I'm saying I didn't have those." Why? You brought six pairs of shoes, but not your favourite pair? And if your saying that they wouldn't have made a difference, then you're basically admitting all the problems you had were down to you and your lack of preparation for your pro day. I'm not writing Bryant off. He could go on and have a spectacular career for all I know. But the early signs are not promising and point more towards having a crap-tacular career. Good for him if he can prove me wrong though, more power to him. -- Colt McCoy showed off to NFL scouts that his arm is in full working order, at the University of Texas pro day. McCoy threw around 50-60 passes and not a single one hit the turf, which was partly thanks to fellow Longhorn Jordan Shipley who also impressed scouts. McCoy is said to have looked solid throughout the workout, with particular praise for his footwork. Meanwhile, Safety Earl Thomas has injured his hamstring after running a 40-yard dash. Thomas pulled up clutching his hamstring at the end of a run and subsequently did not carry on with his workout. -- The Chicago Bears now and Lovie Smith has reportedly said that Devon Hester will be relieved of his special teams return duties so that he can focus on developing as a WR. This is probably the single stupidest thing I've heard since Charely Casserly wrote off Tebow as being worth no more than a middle round pick. I just don't understand it. Hester is a fantastic return guy, who not only scores touchdowns in that phase of the game but also contributes significantly to your field position. And it's not like his body of work at that position hasn't been recognised. He's widely touted as a game breaker for the Bears.... on special teams at least. Why would you even want to become a receiver, having been a CB for most of your career? The only plausible explanation is self promotion and oh god... I just remembered something. Who does Hester consider one of his best mentors? Answer: Deion "I'm going to curse your career forever" Sanders. Have a great day everyone.

No comments: